Monday, May 25, 2015

Living on the Surface of the Sun

So for those of you who follow the weather in Oman (and why would you?), you might have noticed that the current temperature is approximately the same as the surface of the sun, yet as humid as a balmy day in Florida. Yesterday had a high of 113F and it's only May, which does not bode well for the next five months or so. Actually, it probably won't really cool off until December, which is just depressing.
 
It also helps explain why we were all so excited that a new mall opened last week. So first, it gives people something to do outside of their homes that's still air conditioned because, let's face it, anything that isn't air conditioned is miserable right now. And then there's the chance that there might actually be something other than coffee shops in the new mall - a clothing store or two, perhaps? Or maybe even a Sephora? Or something that reminds us of home and could simulate an American shopping experience? (Side note: last weekend I was in Doha visiting friends and we went to a new mall that had an Old Navy. It was like the most exciting thing ever and almost brought tears to my eyes. I don't shop at Old Navy when I live in the US, but for some reason everything that feels like home is exciting.)
 
Our hopes were dashed by some online posts that said people who visited the new mall were trapped in 2+ hours of traffic just to get out of the parking garage - from the outside it looks like the parking garage was designed in a planned way (unlike most parking in Oman), yet I guess people will still insist on parking wherever they want, traffic rules and common courtesy be-damned. The other thing is that over here, developers are in such a rush to open new things that they don't even bother to wait until the stores are ready. So last week announcements were coming out that the mall was open, but no stores were open yet. I guess it at least gave people an air conditioned place to walk around...
 
After work yesterday I swung by for a quick walk around the bottom floor and I have to say I'm pretty excited. No Sephora or Banana Republic or Ann Taylor, but at least there's a few Western stores I recognized (all the Brits are super excited about a Boots opening up) and the mall seems to be laid out in a logical fashion. And I only saw 2 coffee shops, which is pretty shocking for an Arab mall. Eventually, when the movie theatre and restaurants (Macaroni Grill!!) and more than a third of the stores open up, it could be a really nice relief from the summer misery. Till then, I pretty much plan on spending my time alternating between my air conditioned living room, my shaded pool and air conditioned movie theaters. (This is also why every expat who can leaves for the summer.)
 
As for travel plans, T-minus 11 days until Turkmenistan/Uzbekistan and then I'm off to Tanzania and Zanzibar for 10 days in July during our Eid holiday. So I can't complain too much about only sitting on my couch this summer...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment