Monday, May 26, 2014

A Month In

Saturday marked my one month anniversary of being here and I have to say I truly love it here.  The scenery, the people, the more relaxed way of life...all of it. 

A number of you have asked about whether certain things are hard or if there are aspects I don't like.  Well, there are certainly adjustments to be made.  For example, I still don't have internet at my house because there is a months-long waiting list to have it installed.  On Saturday I bought patio furniture, which wound up being a two hour ordeal.  Despite that I bought the floor model that displayed the prices, it took the [major] store almost an hour to find a barcode to go with the chairs.  Shaving cream for women turned out to be the most difficult thing to find over here and I've already started receiving care packages from home with some essentials that I can't buy here (like ice cube trays).

So yeah, there are certainly things that are more difficult here and the lifestyle could test the patience of a zen master.  But I've also adapted to this life quite well and am enjoying the slower pace of...well, of everything. 

I've also met a lot of interesting people, both Omanis and expats.  I always assumed I'd like expats because many, like me, are nomads at heart and avid travelers and experiencers of life.  Many of the people that I've met are well-traveled, up for anything and open to living in different places under varying circumstances.  I've tried to stay away from the expats that hate it here -- they're easy to spot, tend to be Americans and don't seem to have much interest in exploring the country or the area.  Which is such a shame because, though I haven't really gotten out of Muscat yet, there is so much in this country to do and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment